Daly Elementary School FAQ
Q: What is the start and end time of the academic day?:
The academic day is from 8:05 am to 2:10 pm. Arrival begins no earlier than 7:50 am for drop-off at the Rockwood entrance. Dismissal is from 2:10-2:40 pm.
Q: What are the arrival and dismissal procedures?
Arrival and Dismissal Information:
- All students that are assigned a bus are strongly encouraged to use that as their primary source of transportation.
- If bus transportation is not an option, please review the following safety rules on drop off and pick up:
- Drop-off begins no earlier than 7:50 am. Cars must access Rockwood Avenue from Highfield Avenue and line up along the yellow curb marked ‘Student Drop Off’ that ends at the start of the bus driveway. Do not exit cars. Allow your child to exit the car from the curb side of the car only. Do not block the bus driveway and do not allow your children to exit the car and walk across the bus driveway.
* If you need to exit the car for any reason, you must pull up beyond the drop off area, park your car against the curb and turn it off, and then safely help your child to exit the car and go onto the curb by the side of the car.
Dismissal begins at 2:15 for buses. Opt Out Walkers will be dismissed from the library doors adjacent to the lower playground beginning at 2:20. Car pick up begins at approximately 2:25. Please adhere to the safety rules and plan to line up on Shadyside Avenue prior to driving down Avenue C, turning on Highfield and into the Daly bus circle.
*Students are dismissed each day based on the information we have on record. All changes to a child’s dismissal, whether permanent or temporary, must be requested in writing by the parent/guardian and sent with the child’s backpack or via email to [email protected] by 10:30 am. Please review the attachment carefully about any changes in dismissal.
Q: Who do I contact about bus issues?
- For transportation related issues call 516-767-5680
- For bus related discipline issues, contact the Daly main office
- Click here for the transportation webpage
Q: Who do I contact if my child will be late or absent?
A: Call the main office at 516-767-5201. Please leave a message indicating the reason for lateness or absence.
Q: Who do I contact if I need to pick up my child early from school?
A: Early Pick-up: Students are dismissed each day based on the information we have on record. All changes to a child’s dismissal, whether permanent or temporary, must be requested in writing by the parent/guardian and sent with the child’s backpack or via email to [email protected] by 10:30 am. Please review the attachment on the Daly website carefully about any changes in dismissal.
Q: How does my child notify me if they forget an item they need at home? How do I drop off an item that my child forgot?
A:If a child forgets an item they need for the school day, they can come to the main office to call home for the item. If the parent is willing and able to drop off the item, they bring it to the main office and the item is given to the child.
Q: Where is the lost and found located?
A: The lost and found is located in the cafeteria at Daly.
Q: Visitor’s entrance
All visitors must enter the main building entrance at 36 Rockwood Avenue. Please follow the steps upstairs and buzz to be let into the main building and through the security desk.
Q: Who do I call if my child is having difficulty with another student?
A: Depending on the severity of the incident, the following chain of command should be followed:
- The classroom teacher should be the first point of contact for all situations that are not physical in nature and occurred in the classroom or during lunch/recess.
- The classroom teacher and the principal should be the first point of contact for all situations which occur on the bus.
- The principal should be contacted for any situation which is physical in nature.
- The school counselor and principal should be notified immediately for any situation which is felt to be in violation of the Dignity for All Students Act (DASA.)
Q: Who do I call if I have an academic concern about my child?
A: Academic concerns should be addressed with the teacher. This may be the classroom teacher, special area teacher, or support service teacher.
Q: How do I set up a meeting with my child’s teacher(s)?
A: Email your child’s teacher.
Q: What student and family support services are offered?
A: Mrs. Horowitz is the school counselor at Daly Elementary. She can be reached at [email protected] for any family issue or student concern. There is also a bilingual district social worker, Ms. Perez who can be reached at [email protected]. Our school psychologist, Dr. Ericka Bloomfield can be reached at [email protected].
- For English Language Learners (ELLs): the ENL Department at each building provides mandated services to students needing this support.
Q: How do I access the school calendar of events?
A: Click here for the Daly calendar of events
Q: How do I access the district calendar of events?
A: Click here for the district calendar of events
Q: What clubs/ activities are offered to students?
A: Each year the district funds a homework club for grades 2-5 (based on recommendation from teacher) and Math Olympiads for grades 4 and 5. There is also a Scrabble Club and other clubs vary depending on funding from outside sources such as the HSA, Ed Foundation and HEARTS.
- For English Language Learners (ELLs): each year, the ENL Department offers supplemental programs to support students in their academic and linguistics growth.
Q: How do I prepay for lunch?
- Click here for myschoolbucks.com on the Food Service website. Scroll to bottom and follow directions “Get Started Today.”
- Click here for lunch Menu at Daly
- Click here for the Free & Reduced Lunch Information & Forms
Q: Who do I contact if my child is having difficulty with their Ipad or chromebook?
A: Please contact your child’s teacher and they will refer the child to in-building technical help.
Q: Where do I get my login information for ASPEN (Parent/ Student Portal)?
- Call the main office
Q: How do I change contact information?
- Click here for Central Registration Forms to change your ADDRESS
- Contact the Daly Main Office to change your EMAIL or PHONE NUMBER
Q: How do I get help with the processes mentioned if I speak limited English?
- Schools are equipped to provide translation/interpretation support by using a phone interpreter who can help you communicate with any staff member of the school community. You can ask the school to provide you with interpretation support in your home language at any time.