Typical Routines throughout the Week in Pre-K
- Unpacking/packing backpacks.
- Taking off/putting on coats.
- Taking out/putting in personal belongings
- Signing in/signing out.
- Morning meeting (Daily schedule, Attendance, Weather and Calendar).
- Read alouds (picture books, both fiction/non-fiction).
- Shared reading (poems and songs).
- Learning Centers.
- Outdoor play, movement activities, rest-time.
- Daily Special (Gym, Art, Music, Library).
Learning Center Examples:
- Math center (games, hands on experiences).
- Literacy center (name practice, letter work, exploring books).
- Science center (hands on experiments, non-fiction topics).
- Block/Building Center (wood blocks, magnets, legos).
- Art Center (daily art experiences that connect to learning).
- Table Top Activities (puzzles, playdoh, fine motor skill work).
- Ipad work (math games, handwriting and number practice, etc.).
Getting your Child/Children Ready for School
To help your child get ready for success at school, below are a few suggestions:
Establish daily routines at home:
- Make sure your child is well rested. Children need 10-12 hours
of sleep daily. We recommend a 7-8pm bedtime.
- Provide a nutritious breakfast each morning.
- Allow plenty of time to eat, brush teeth and dress before
the school bus comes.
Help your child with self-help skills:
- Teach them to take off and put on their coats and sneakers.
- Make sure they can use the bathroom independently.
- Practice wiping and blowing their noses.
- Practice on taking off a mask properly (if needed).
- Teach them good hand washing habits.
- Should be appropriate for the weather.
- Loose fitting and comfortable.
- Sneakers preferable.
- Easy to manage on their own.
LABEL all clothing before it comes to school:
To ensure your child’s belongings come home each day, please put your child’s name on all their belongings.
Items that should have labels:
Children’s coats, sweatshirts, gloves/mittens, school bags, extra clothes.
If clothes are sent home soiled, please replace them as soon as possible with labeled clothes.